Saturday 10 May 2014
(DIY) Hair Toner for Brassy Yellow and/or Orange Tones Posted at 11:26 pm 12 comments (+)
Are you Filipino? Are you frustrated with the fact that hair toners are not available for purchase in beauty stores nationwide? No purple hair dye to start with toning? Do you want a cheaper alternative to these toners? Ta-daaaa! Lucky you. Today, I'm sharing a DIY hair toner that's more nourishing to apply on hair. This is what I did when I bleached my hair and the result was Orange, and this is what I also did when I achieved the Blonde. First, I'm going to tell you that you may/may not do this project, since it will always be your choice to take risks or play by the expert's rules. I'm not a hair expert, I'm just in the process of self-renewal wherein I ~share~ stuff that's happening in my life lately with people online, basically strangers.

Here are the things you need to apply on your hair. They're not much and they cost less than the toners and dyes ordered online because Philippines. Online. Sigh. Get my point?


1. White Conditioner: White and only white. I don't know an expert's reason why, but non-white conditioners when mixed with the blue or the purple will, obviously, result into a different color, and we only need purple or blue to happen! Stop making any other fetch happen.

2. Purple Food Color: When you get rid of the orange tones in your hair, mix the conditioner with the purple food color. For your information and curiosity, Violet cancels out Yellow. It neutralizes the brassy yellow color so your hair becomes a nice shade of blonde. The more expensive version of this is mixing the conditioner with a semi-permanent purple hair dye. I guess it's more effective that way, but if you're on a budget then this is an option to go for. Some people would mix the conditioner with 2 drops of purple and 1 drop of blue for parts of the hair that seem to appear yellow-orange.

3. Blue Food Color: Bleaching dark hair to a light blonde is extremely damaging, and once your hair gets to that light orange stage I would suggest you to stop bleaching your hair and proceed to toning (then again, it's up to you!) Before you put on that purple mixture you must get rid of the orange tones first, so you need the conditioner + blue food color mixture. Blue cancels out the Orange, neutralizing the hair and turns it to a yellow-ish color. 

Procedure:
  • Mix white conditioner and 1-2 drops of food color (Purple if you have more yellow tones, Blue if more orange tones.) on a plastic bowl.
  • Apply it on your dry hair.
  • It's ideal to leave it it for 15-30 minutes. It depends on how yellow or how orange your hair is; Leave it longer if it's too brassy and rinse it immediately if it's not. Cover it up for faster development.
  • Rinse and towel dry.
You should notice your hair getting a level lighter and toned (duh). If you think the procedure was successful and would like to go lighter, then you can do it again, but don't leave it longer than before. If it didn't, you can stop. Check your hair every now and then because leaving the mixture longer than it should be might turn out too green/blue. I advise you to perform a strand-test, even though it's heartbreaking for me to cut pieces of hair.

That's it! Hope this helped. If you have questions, ask me. I'm going to bed with my sister now, just sharing. Good luck and I hope everything works out fine!


Labels:

About
20, Manila, 97% seated
etcetera
Credits
Layout by mymostloved with script, background and image.