Monday 9 June 2014
Singapore May-June 2014 Part 1 Posted at 2:24 am 0 comments (+)
Sharing my family's trip to Singapore before everything becomes a blur, and because I'm keeping myself from slacking off and doing nothing at home. Quick side-story: While sorting photos of our travel, I accidentally deleted everything while I thought they were being transferred to another folder. Went through a panic to recover it but my computer won't detect my device and encounters an unidentified problem whenever I try to connect, so I'm gonna post photos which my sister took and some that were left in my phone. But still, NAKAKAIYAK.

Let's take a tour through Day 1!



Upon landing at Changi International Airport, you can get a hold of a guide available in English and Mandarin. We didn't hire a tour guide, and we did not avail any travel itineraries before we arrived in Singapore. Everything will be spontaneous, thus we were glad to find these brochures to at least give us info on where to begin. Even the airport's transport service has a brochure on fares and contact numbers to get you anywhere in Singapore. Ang ayos lang ng lahat po.



Didn't take the Skytrain because of all the baggage we were carrying, so my Dad called for the airport's bus service to take us to our hotel. I was recording the whole drive and I have it my phone. The first thing I noticed is how clean Singapore is, with buildings and trees coinciding at each corner you look. Though there's also traffic, but not as much as we experience here in Manila because there are fewer cars. I heard owning a car is pretty expensive here, just like in Hong Kong. So that makes the trip to the hotel a lot fun. And I got quick views of the places we're about to go next like Marina Bay Sands and Bugis!

 

We settled in Mandarin Orchard Hotel at, well, Orchard Road! Most of the hotels are located on top of the shopping malls, and ours is just above Mandarin Gallery. Everything I saw in Orchard was high-end and was surprised to see people actually buying things everywhere. A typical day in Singapore won't be complete without shopping, they say. Whew! Here's our view from the room. Mandarin Gallery is beside Takashimaya shopping mall.

  

Photo op at Armani, forced by Daddy. Hi! My outfit matches the store's design.

 

Recto feels.



Daylight in Singapore: Lots of people walking, shopping, watching dramas in their smartphones (yup), and taking pictures. Another thing I loved is that there were trees everywhere. A friend told me that weather in Singapore is slightly more humid than in the Philippines. But when we got there we didn't sweat much! I guess it's thanks to the trees. Did I mention there's lots of walking involved? Yes. Also, I saw trash and cigar butts in some corners, which made me confused because you're supposed to pay $1,000 for littering. I got intimidated by everyone, really. Singapore is a place full of...anyone. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the long walk!

And now for the highlight of Day 1!



Come nighttime, we rode a train from Orchard to Marina Bay. Taking the train is the most convenient way to get to anywhere, actually. The basics are pretty much the same here and in Singapore. But damnnn they have such fast and well-ventilated trains, not to mention they have 5 lines (North South, East West, North East, Downtown, and Circle Line) to take you to places. If you research on how to get around Singapore, this would be a piece of cake. My sister was the one in charge of the research so we were following her around during the trip, lol. Don't worry, because the guide has got you covered if you're having a rough time! That is, if you grabbed a brochure... Haha!


Welcome to Marina Bay Sands! I prefer to see it at night because the lights make it futuristic, like you're in a different planet. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I had of the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, the most expensive building in the world. Checking-in is quite costly, but you get what you pay for! It was huge and tall I could still see it even when we got to the Gardens.

 

 

 

Speaking of being in a different planet, we walked through Gardens By the Bay and it was exquisite. No mosquitoes while walking around the place and the trees were lighted in changing colors. They're pretty awesome to look at during the day too, even without the lights. Do Min Joon feels~

 

ArtScience Museum that's shaped like a lotus; more of a general way of welcoming tourists. However, too much walking made me think of a ramen bowl and sliced green mango when I saw this.


After another hour of walking around other attractions in Marina Bay, we finally went inside the Shoppes at Marina Bay and had heavy dinner. Everything here is high-end (old news!) so we just strolled around and took more photos. Then my Dad decided to check out the Skypark a.k.a. the banana-shaped thing at the top of Marina Bay Sands Hotel. OMG.


A whopping $23 to see Singapore at the ~heart~ of Singapore. But like I said, you get what you pay for so...

 

There! And this is the part where I break down and cry for losing my files, because the moment I was at the observation deck, I didn't want to leave. Singapore at night. Cool breeze. Unlimited photo-ops. Even my Dad felt sulit about it because it was exquisite. Singaporeans, is the view better during the day or at night? Sighs. Here's a view of the Singapore Flyer and the tall buildings located in the Financial District. Yes, and that's also a road...with few cars.

 

The blue lighted-goblets are actually the trees from Gardens By the Bay. At the left is the Marina Barrage. Am I in Do Min Joon's planet or whut.

 

But anyway, here are other attractions from the Skypark. We spent a good hour walking back-and-forth, looking at everything and absorbing them all in.  Upper-right shows the Fullerton Hotel and the Merlion Park, Lower-right shows the Esplanade. Those who are afraid of heights might find the transparent barriers relieving, but I say, screw that phobia and take it all in. This is not an opportunity to be missed.

That concludes Day 1 of the trip! Feeling oozy now so I'm heading to sleep. I hope my not-so-first-ever travel post entertained and inspired you to plan a trip to Singapore soon. To be honest, I wasn't excited at all when my Dad told us about this. Now I want to go back so badly! Good night ;-)

Labels: ,

About
20, Manila, 97% seated
etcetera
Credits
Layout by mymostloved with script, background and image.